Search ONCE UPON A BEAT

Monday, October 19

Made In Jamaica

So I am thinking that I’ll just post every Wednesday, as oppose to whenever I want just to give myself some order, with the exception of today.

My vision for my second post was something completely different from what I am posting now, I even did the write up and everything but I just think that this is more inspiring and my second post can become my third.

MADE IN JAMAICA is a film directed by Jerome Laperrousaz, I did not know who he was until I saw this film but from what I’ve read he is a really solid guy. This film attempts to show the everyday struggle of the Jamaican people, through the eyes of our biggest representatives in my opinion our music artist. The film deals with everything from corruption to killing. I first saw this film 3 or 4 years ago at TIFF, which I try to go to every year. As far as I know it never got very good reviews as some individuals (critics) felt it just skimmed the surface of the issues and did not go deep enough into what is truly wrong with Jamaica. I’ve never been one to agree with critics so I watched it for myself and was truly impressed, while it did not show the whole picture it left me wanting to find out more about my home country and what plagues it, and what is better than a film that makes one want to do research.

If you ever have the chance to watch it I truly recommend it, the film has some of the biggest names in the business, talking about politics, why they do what they do and what they feel is the hope for Jamaica. I even got to meet Capleton at the TIFF.
The sad part is other than the premier, I don’t think this video has seen circulation but I could be wrong.

p.s. I’ve spent years looking for a copy of this film never been able to find one, so if you know where I can leave a comment, I could download it but it is not the same.

You can check out the main website @ http://www.madeinjamaicamovie.com/index.html it has not been updated recently i check it periodically.



Performers in order by first appearance in trailer I know I got someone wrong, or I forgot someone. So don’t bite my head off, cause I just might respond.

Bogle (sadly this was his last dance he was gunned down when he stopped at a gas station on his way home), Bounty Killer & Nadine, Bunny Wailer, Bassie (Third World), Gregory Isaacs, Full Band (Third World), Capleton, Toots & the Maytals, Lady Saw, Tanya Stephens, Elephant Man

My next post is a two part post. The first part is the promised dance hall post.

No comments:

Post a Comment