Search ONCE UPON A BEAT

Sunday, August 30

Let Me Clear My Throat.



For all y'all out there who still listen to the radio and watch Much Music or MTV for the fifteen minutes a day they are actually playing music, you'll have heard the new Jay-Z single, Run this town.

Now on the real, I first found and heard this track near the beginning of let's say July. And decided to hold off on saying a whole lot about it until I was sure just about everyone had heard it. Now that they have, I really have to say that the song isn't all that good.


Now initially it comes off as cool. However, for the intention had for the song and the initial imagery portrayed in my head. The message they said was behind it... it's just not showing up for me.
Now I love Jay and for that matter Yeezy and Rihanna, but the lack lustre performance was seen across the board. I really don't see Jay pick it up until the second verse and even that is only okay to me. I just see as a bunch of posturing to look like you are the thing to rally behind when the world falls apart.

In case you didn't notice Jigga, you kind of already Run things, so when the world falls apart and people turn to find a new fresh leader, it won't really be you.


Now I know that I can be a tough critic, but I give you the truth, from time to time I want to listen to something that's gonna enrich me, make me better, teach me something.

And that VIDEO!!! Ugghh!!! Initially looked Cool, but again, bored shortly after. The grungy, run down distopian apocalypse where mankind is rebelling forced to remake the world has been down too many times and too frequently now, Why do you think Terminator Salvation seemed boring to a bunch of people (apart from the fact the story was a bit on the lame side). I had a friend who I watched the premiere of the video with after only listening to the song for the first time only five minutes earlier. Yeah, she wasn't impressed by it and in fact it made her like the song less. All in all, it wasn't a good look.



Alright I've said my piece, now cut me up if you want, I really ain't scared.
And with a tip of my hat, I fade into the back...

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree with my Brotha Dahhrrkness on this one he is a tough critic, but like he says he does give the truth. I was expecting so much more from this video/song, but every time I hear it I find myself changing the channel/station.

    ReplyDelete